Sunday, January 1, 2012

Hoppin' John's New Year's Day Soup


Hello all!

Since this is my first entry into the blogosphere, I think introductions are in order. I am a SAHM of 4, currently unschooling 3 kiddos: Gabe 15, Emma 10, and Maya 8. My oldest, Haley, is 22 .  I love painting, traveling, music, theatre, sewing, and knitting, among other things. As part of my 2012 New Year’s Resolution, I have decided to take the next step and become a full time VEGAN! I have been a vegetarian for the past two years, but… I love cheese. I know how bad it is for me, and yes, occasionally when I think about it, especially while eating said cheese, I too am grossed out by it. But I am a survivor, and will survive a cheese-less life. I am moving on.

So. I thought that starting this blog would help me on my journey to veganism. I plan to make one delicious vegan soup a week and post about it every “Soup Sunday” for an entire year. My picky eater, Emma, will give each recipe an “Emma Rating” between 1 and 5, with 1 being “don’t even think about it,” and 5 being “I could eat this every day.”

I have been cooking vegan dinners for my family for the past year, as my husband decided last year to become a vegan, so vegan cooking is not totally new to me.  What I hope is to present vegan soup recipes that are not only vegan, but also healthy, easy to prepare, and family friendly. I love to cook: I hate to clean. So easy prep and cleanup is a must. And hopefully Emma will eat it. That is always a goal, as well. It is a lofty goal, but a goal nonetheless.

Up for your consideration is my first soup recipe of the year, Hoppin’ John’s New Year’s Day Soup. This is a variation of the black-eyed peas and rice recipe that we all know so well, but soup-i-fied. And, of course, being New Year’s Day, we must all eat our black-eyed peas to ensure prosperity throughout the year. 

I hope you enjoy this soup. We all did, even Emma. It was served with vegan cornbread. Yum!

                                                              


                                            Hoppin’ John’s New Year’s Day Soup
                                                        Emma Rating: ♥♥♥♥♥

Serves 6

Ingredients List:

1 lb bag of dried black-eyed peas
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, diced
2 carrots, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
2 garlic cloves
1 red bell pepper, deseeded and diced
2 tsp vegan Liquid Smoke
½ tsp fresh thyme
1 large bay leaf
6 cups vegetable broth
1/2 cup brown rice
salt and pepper (optional)
chopped chives, for garnish (optional)
Louisiana Hot Sauce (optional)

HINT: If you don’t have 6+ hours to soak, buy 4 cans of black-eyed peas as a shortcut.

STEP 1:
Soak beans according to package directions. Rinse with cold water and set aside.

STEP 2:
Heat olive oil in large, heavy pot on medium heat. Once oil is heated add onions. Cook onions until just softened, about 3 or 4 minutes. Add carrots, celery, garlic and red pepper. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.

STEP 3:
Add beans, liquid smoke, thyme, bay leaf, vegetable broth, and an optional dash or two of hot sauce. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cover, simmering gently for 1 hour or until beans are tender. Stir occasionally.

STEP 4:
Add rice and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook for an additional 30 minutes until the rice is cooked through and the beans are tender.

STEP 5:
Remove bay leaf, and garnish with chives before serving. Enjoy!